Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Book List

There are so many books out there to read, forums, apps for your cell phone, advice from friends and family members, and as covered before, advice from strangers, too.  With so many sources to choose from, to listen to or ignore, I thought I'd give you recommendations that I've felt were the most helpful to us.
















Although there are many followers of Heidi Murkoff's What to Expect When You're Expecting, I found it to be too much information, therefore, too many ways to make me worry.  It's all what happened to her, not what happens to everyone, which is hard to remember when you're doing this for the first time.  I did read all of Jenny McCarthy's book, Belly Laughs, mostly for entertainment purposes, but it also caused some nightmares and wonky concerns about things have not happened to me in my pregnancy or in my relationship with my spouse.  I also tried a French parenting book, French Twist by Catherine Crawford, that was interesting at first - did you know that France provides government assistance for daycare for all mothers no matter income level?  or that French mothers are all given 16 weeks of maternity leave for each child (rather than the 12 we get here)?  - but then got monotonous with the author's French friends and the rich Brooklyn-ites that she hung out with, and so on.  I didn't finish the book.

Point is, find whatever works for you.  There are several green mommy books, personal accounts, and medical information books to choose from, just to name a few genres.  You just may have to try a few different kinds to see what feels best for you and how you absorb information.  Good luck!
Phone App

No comments:

Post a Comment