Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cold Snap

It's finally starting to feel seasonal out and we'll have a chilly Thanksgiving for once!  Unfortunately, the flip flop in weather combined with lack of sleep over the course of a couple of weeks (thanks to "hot flashes" during the night from baby having a party in the womb and hormones), plus the lowered immune system and swelling that accompany being pregnant have caused a sore throat and stuffed and runny nose.  Ugh!  Now the inability to sleep for more than five hours a night continues since I can't breathe.  

I did finally get the flu shot the other day, though.  It took some convincing because I usually feel awful after receiving one, but since fiance' had the same symptoms I have now, the other day, I decided it would be best to ward off anything more serious.  Not sure if this is standard practice for expectant mothers, but Walgreen's has a preservative free flu shot just for us.  Despite my bout with the allergy/sinus issues at the moment, I will say that the intense arm soreness and flu-like symptoms I typically feel after getting the flu shot from work every year are non-existent.  Go, Walgreen's!

To be fair, and to hopefully ease any other first time mommy's fears that I may have just caused, I do already have a compromised immune system thanks to chronic allergies.  Every year I get a ramped-up allergy/sinus infection around the holidays.  This is probably just that again, but more complicated and annoying since I'm pregnant; complicated because pregnant women can't take much medicine.  Rest, clear fluids, and laughter are the best medicine anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment