Monday, November 11, 2013

The Beginning

What a surprise it was when we found out we were pregnant! And what an emotional roller coaster!  I didn't believe it right away and still questioned it after 3 home pregnancy tests, which led me to get a blood test from my PCP.  That confirmed it.  We had to defend ourselves to ourselves, basically.  So many questions swirled in our minds, but ultimately we knew that things would be okay because, although it certainly felt like it those first couple of weeks, we were not the first people on Earth to get pregnant unexpectedly.

Let me take this story back a big step: once we found out that we were pregnant, it explained a lot of crazy mood swings and extreme emotional reactions, tummy issues, and heat-filled sleepless nights.  I was toying with the idea of going to see my PCP anyway because of the night sweats and tummy troubles.  Even when I went to take the blood test for pregnancy, I was 50/50 about what the results might say.  Surely, these symptoms were related to something else, like maybe my thyroid was off, or I had IBS.  Nope, it was all because I was pregnant and had no idea, therefore, no way to link it to anything I could grasp.

We told our families and very slowly started to tell friends.  Being uncertain how people would react and finally being up for a promotion at work caused us a lot of stress, and kept us mum about things for most of the first trimester.  I even had a sibling of a friend check out pregnancy books for me from the library, worried coworkers would find out before we were ready to share the news.  It was mentally tough those first two and half months, but the day finally came when we could be open about our excitement.


No comments:

Post a Comment