Saturday, February 24, 2024

A Chip Off the Old Block

Today was our girl's first track meet! Honestly, out of all of the things that I thought I'd be most excited about as her mom, I wouldn't have guessed it would be this, but here we are!  She ran in the third heat of the girls' 100 meters.  I'm trying to remember, but I think the first heats are the slower runners, and the later you get, the faster the runners. You know, save the best for last.  

In case you didn't know, I ran track and cross country in high school, and I was good.  I was seventh in the state for girls' 800 meters and tenth for girls' cross country, and I had multiple scholarship offers to run in college, including one from Harvard.  Mandeville High School boys and girls track and cross country teams were consistently in the top five in the state. I believe the year that I placed 10th, our team came in first. Hey, I don't often brag, so this is my moment to gloat.

Her next meet will be at my alma mater so I'm sure that I'll take an even more in-depth trip down memory lane. Training year-round for a high school team is much different than for a short season for an elementary school team, but if she's inspired to take up running as a hobby, I'll be right there alongside her! Her dad and Merle will likely join us, so it can be a family affair.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment