Thursday, March 19, 2020

Life School

Each day of the "new normal" is getting better.  Today is especially improved because my hubby is home from work, too.  Single parenting is hard, even when you're technically not a single parent - they're just at work for the day.  

I've discovered that I really don't know my way around the kitchen.  Baking has long been my jam but I never wanted to learn how to cook.  My mom offered several times to teach me growing up, but I always had something else I wanted to be doing.  Since I'm working from home now I figure that I should be fixing the meals so the hubby gets a break after he's been working in a hot warehouse all day.  He's always in a warehouse and I'm always in the air conditioning, but my brain says that since I'm home and he's not, I should be the cook. Silver lining: I'm expanding my skill set and learning more recipes.  

I have also gained respect for the amount of time he spends washing dishes.  We have a galley kitchen and it is very small.  There is hardly any counter space so prepping anything, even a sandwich, is cramped.  More than one person in there at a time can cause claustrophobia or at least, an elbow to a hanging pot or the dishrack, if not the other person in there with you.  The single basin sink fills with dirty dishes quickly and while the dishwasher gets run just about every other night, there is still a lot of handwashing that needs to happen so the most often used pots are available for cooking dinner.  

Last but not least, I have a better idea of what stay-at-home parents do every day.  It is quite different now that our girl is older and can do so much for herself.  When she was an infant and I was craving social interaction but didn't want to pack her and all of her stuff up to go out, my perspective was much different.  Trying to do chores, decluttering projects, fix meals, work from home, and help her with school assignments, I don't understand how regular stay-at-home parents get anything accomplished.  I have yet to practice much self-care, although I am trying to do something small every day.  

Other than the lifestyle learning curve and allergies, we are doing pretty well with all of this.  I hope you and your peeps are, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment