Saturday, February 10, 2018

Carnival Time Thoughts

Hi!  In case you haven't seen all the pictures on Facebook or Instagram (@bluenautilus), I participated in a parade this year!  It's been 5 whole years since I was last in one.  This year, I was lucky enough to ride an art bike with the Krewe of Kolossos which is one of the many groups that participate in Krewe of Muses.  The multi-talented and super involved Katrina Brees is the artiste and mover and shaker behind this group as well as some others, like the Bearded Oysters who also walk in Muses. 

Having been in a walking group for five years with Persephone's Dragonflies and now riding in Kolossos, and getting unofficially invited to be part of Dames de Perlage next year, it's been really interesting to weigh my options and try and get perspective to come closer to making a decision on how to handle 2019. 

The biggest reason I stopped doing Dragonflies is because I got pregnant with our daughter. I've mentioned here and in my art blog before that her bedroom is what used to be my art studio.  There is no extra space for me to keep out a hot glue gun, a dress form, and a bustier in various stages of beading for weeks or months at a time.  I also really like when my husband and I can be in bed by 9 p.m. on work nights.  The moms I know who do Flyday and Dames de Perlage all stay up after everyone else has gone to bed to work on their costumes.  The Dames don't even hot glue - they hand sew seed beads!!  Their name literally means "ladies of beadwork", and their work is unbelievably gorgeous (and lightweight, unlike the Dragonfly bustiers which are heavy because of the glue and bigger beads)!

Riding the art bike in Krewe of Kolossos was perfect for where I am in my ever rationalizing brain right now.  I could still play dress up, but it kept me from being a perfectionist with my outfit because we had to wear black, white, and red under our marching band jacket and hat.  I could do whatever with my makeup and as long as I had the right colors on, I could have whatever kind of outfit underneath.  I also love riding my bike and the grasshopper bike I rode in the parade was an adult tricycle and the papier mache insect was nice and lightweight.  Plus, being in a big parade like Muses was an awesome experience because of the size and scope.  Seeing the city from that vantage point was incredible, and the people watching while waiting to line up was fabulous!  The Rolling Elvi were across the street and the Bearded Oysters were next to us.  We also got some sweet throws while the floats were lining up in front of us. 

Anyway, our girl is getting pretty into Mardi Gras and she was excited that I was in a parade.  Each year, we are able to add a little bit more to our parade viewing. She loves sitting on our shoulders catching stuff, and the older she gets, the easier it is to pack and prepare.  I realized at Muses when I got her a Mona Lisa pillow that all of her bed pillows save for the normal sized Frozen one are from parades!  No doubt where her mama is from, right?  Speaking of which, there was actually an infant who "rode" with her mom in the Bearded Oysters as a little pearl (in the strap on baby carrier on her  mom's torso)!  That's a true New Orleans girl! 

I'm not committing or not committing to anything yet for 2019, but I am very happy with how this Carnival season has turned out so far.  Next year, if the weather doesn't suck and we all stay well (these last few years have not exactly cooperated), I hope to add some more parade viewing to our list.  Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment